Sunday 1 April 2012

Kevin Keegan to join York Sport

York Sport President Sam Asfahani has announced that former England manager Kevin Keegan will become part of the York Sport committee for 2012-13.


Asfahani said: “Kevin will join the committee from next academic year in a new role, Senior York Sport Officer. I am confident he will be a great addition to the team and, although I won’t be working with him, I wish him all the best for the future.”

At the moment, the committee is made up of ten students elected by the student community. The decision to add Keegan to the team will be Asfahani’s last major policy as President before Charlotte Winter takes over.

61-year-old Keegan has been out of managerial work since abandoning a second stint at Newcastle in 2008 and has worked occasionally in media during the intervening years.

Keegan has managed three professional football clubs as well
as England
Keegan said in a statement: “I cannot wait join York Sport. I want to use my experience in sport to help the committee continue the good work it has already done under Sam Asfahani.

“I’ve reached the stage in my life where I need to try something different. After visiting the university last year, I was deeply impressed and the opportunity was simply impossible to turn down.”

And Keegan already has big plans for what the committee should be doing next year: “First and foremost we need to improve our BUCS football teams. Relegation will be history for all five of them.

“I would also like to increase the number of charity events at the university, so that we are raising lots of money for worthy causes. It’s an area where many universities are ahead of us.”

Keegan’s also wants to improve the diversity of sports at the university. “I’m a big golf fan, so I would like to get a college golf programme going as well as golf training. It can only be a good thing. And on a personal level, I would also like to coach players from a range of sports. I’m an on-the-ground type of guy.”

Meanwhile, Vice-Chancellor Brian Cantor declared: “This appointment will improve York’s international reputation in sport. I hope it will be a platform upon which we can build upon for many years.”

Keegan will assume his new responsibilities when York’s next academic year begins on 8th October. He will also hold a Q&A session in the Exhibition Centre (room P/X/001) on 25th April to respond to students’ queries.

To receive the latest information about events at the University of York, visit: http://www.york.ac.uk/news-and-events/events/

No comments:

Post a Comment